Waist Seal replacement

To: "AJMCPAMST@aol.com" <AJMCPAMST@aol.com>, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Waist Seal replacement
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 18:39:05 -0500
AJMCPAMST@aol.com writes:

>I need to replace the 2 rubber weatherstrips along the top of each door
which
>abut the windows.  Has anyone done this without taking the door apart??

Taking the door apart won't help.  Trust me, I tried.  Actually
I had the doors apart already but it was of no help.

The first thing to do is trim the length of the waist seals to
properly fit the opening.  They are a little bit too long.  Next
buy a length of 3/4 X 1/8 inch band iron (available at most
hardware stores) and clamp the last 1/4 inch into a vice and
bend it over so you have a piece with a 90 degree bend on the
end.  This is the clip installation tool (Churchill no. 12345
;-))

Insert the seal into the opening (with the window down) and
position it where it should go.  Insert the clip istallation
tool into the door (toward the front where there is no glass)
and slide it fore and aft between the glass and the seal to
gain access to the clips you are about to install.

Us a pair of needlenose pliers and, holding the clip broadwise,
position a clip where it should go (note the recesses in the
rubber moulding) and use the tool to press the clip upward whilst
holding the seal down in position.  Take care to not scratch (or is
it take care not to scratch) the glass.

Simple, eh?  Don't worry, after you drop a half dozen or so clips
you'll get the hang of it.

Good luck and enjoy your new seals.  Afterward you'll say it was
worth it.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO
57 TR3 (the wife's car)