Re: TR-3A - Anti-roll bars: Good idea? Anyone running with them?

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: TR-3A - Anti-roll bars: Good idea? Anyone running with them?
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 01:27:28 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi John,

I've recently done a lot of research on upgrading the suspension on my
TR4 and nearly everything I've read and a number of people I've tapped
for info recommend a 9/16 or 3/4 inch bar on the front, but no bar on
the back of the solid axle TR's. My Addco bar for the front is currently
back-ordered with V.B. (But they got the nearly all the other 90-100
parts to me pretty quickly!)

I also opted for the adjustable end-links from Addco, so I can dial in
the bar. Essentially it's a matter of mixing and matching harder &
softer bushings. I also have uprated springs front and rear, Koni shocks
on the front and will be putting Apple rebuilt lever shocks on the rear.
The whole car has been lowered 1-1/4 inch in front and 1" at the back,
and the 195/60 tires lower it a bit more. I may do some more lowering if
my butt doesn't drag over speed bumps.

However, your question was what about just adding the anti-roll bar to
an otherwise stock suspension... I'd say, cerainly! I think you will
enjoy the improved handling. You won't be giving up much in the ride (as
if that was a concern with a TR, we didn't buy em expecting to cruise
like a Cadillac, did we?).

IMHO, I'd suggest trying the front bar by itself first. Most folks I've
talked to who bought the rear bars tell me they are now gathering dust
in the corner of the garage. (They are a good idea for the IRS cars,
however.)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L