Re: re Vitesse mods

To: alinkens@nuera.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: re Vitesse mods
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:44:24 EST
In a message dated 04/02/99 10:29:44 GMT, you write:

<< Subj:         re Vitesse mods
 Date:  04/02/99 10:29:44 GMT
 From:  alinkens@nuera.com (Andrew Linkens)
 To:    GuyotLeonF@aol.com
 CC:    triumphs@autox.team.net

 Leon,
 That's an interesting mail. It's always of interest to me to see what helpful
 modifications can be added to the car to improve the whole experience of
 driving a Triumph.

Thanks & glad to see someone out there agrees with me.

 - Power steering - the 2000 has a substantial bottom ball joint, the Vitesse
 etc has a brass trunnion. I guess a power steering unit may cause premature
 failure to the trunnion due to extra forces?
 I've received some helpful mails about adjusting the front suspension
geometry
 to prevent some of the heavy steering problems I seem to get - I'll follow
that
 route I think.

You are probably right about the trunnion problem, that, I must confess hadn't
occured to me.

 -I like the thought of Daimler seats!

So did I, that's why I fitted them, actually I copied the idea from the guy
with the automatic Vitesse.

 Some mods I may try -
 -I'm going to try improving the heater fan by fitting the fan from a Dolomite
 (as suggested in TSSC Courier mag recently).

I did that a while back, on both Herald and Vitesse, used parts from
autojumbled late Spitfire and GT6 heater boxes, including rheostat for two
speed operation, ie: slow and a little less slow!!! and you'll need a three
position Lucas switch.
The heater fan is made of plastic instead of metal and is thus much faster
than the original metal one.

 -I heard of a GT6 owner fitting gas struts to assist in bonnet lifting.. I
may
 try something similar.

I've got some of those struts somoewhere, but never got around to fitting
them,
would you like them, Andy?

 -I like the idea of replacing the 4-speed box either with a manual overdrive
or
 a 5-speed box. (haven't heard much about 5-speed boxes that are suitable
yet.)

I know that the TSSC German area organsier Hans-Georg Stumpf is fitting a
Rover 3500 Manual gerabox to his GT6, I think that's 5 speed isn't it ?

 -I'll probably fit a heated element to the rear window.

Fine for a saloon, but not in my convertible!!!

 -Another useful addition would be hazard lights.

Very true, I suggest a combination of original Triumph hazard warning light
switch, (from a Dolomite), and hazard relays from say an Austin Montego in the
scrapyard- very cheap and reliable (Lucas!) parts.

 Any other suggestions from listers would be welcome,
 regards
 Andy
 '69 Vitesse
 '76 2500S Estate