Re: Anti-roll bars

To: sanborn@net1plus.com
Subject: Re: Anti-roll bars
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 18:58:29 +0000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Brian

This was done some time ago (1992)  so I may get it wrong !   I think
the problem was that the fittings did not allow the bar to attach to the
chassis (because it needs four holes drilled on the underside of the
chassis to provide a pivot point for the bar)  and to the U bolt
plate.    I remember getting close to solving the problem  by using two
1 1/2 inch square pices of aluminimum bar to lower the pivot point, but
I did not have the necessary long U bolts which would have been needed
to go into the chassis frame.
I get the feeling that these also may have lowered the bar too much  for
my liking (at the time) . The added complication was that the bar had a
bend in it about 9 inches long which supposedly went arond the
exhaust.     Now I think about it, it may have been a bad fit beacuse I
was trying to fit it to the chassis without the body, so the rear spring
may well have benefitted by being compressed some more.    Alternatively
it may have been because my TR4 has the large aluminium spacer on the
rear 'deep dish'  springs - could the bar have been meant for earlier
TR4s ?
 Anyway some time this year I will be trying to fit the same bar to my
TR2 chassis, and apparently this will need the exhaust lowering by a
small amount anyway.
As I said in the previous note the handling is still quite good on the 4
, but the rear wheel does occasionally lift, and the bar would proabably
help to stop this.

Cheers for now
Brian Johnson

Internet bjohnson@mmm.com (work) or b.johnson@diamond.co.uk(home)

1963  TR4   AFP503A / IZS 733(USA) - CT27216-L (now not L but O ) ex USA

1954  TR2   46 BHX               TS554-O   UK Car
1989  Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 GLI