RE: Oil Pump for TR6 and Vandervell...

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Oil Pump for TR6 and Vandervell...
From: MPRICE@KeystoneSystems.com
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 13:39:53 -0500
Babbit? I could be wrong, but as I recall (its been a while),the turbine
and shaft bearings for propulsion, and some of the marine diesel
bearings we dealt with in the Navy were lined with a
lead/tin/antimony(?) alloy called "babbit". Newer at that time for some
marine diesel applications were aluminum bearings. The aluminum ones
were supposed to be better only if the oil was kept extra clean,
otherwise the aluminum bearings were considered to be pretty
unforgiving.
just my .02
Mark