Re: Engine Rebuild Tips

To: lmoldroyd@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Tips
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 15:42:02 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

I asked this question a number of times in various circumstances in the
past. The overwhelming constant reply was:

Keep it clean.

Another similar reply is:

Keep it clean. When you think it's clean, clean it again.

Words to live by.

I usually spend several hours cleaning the block up after disassembling.
Then (depending on when you'll get around to working on things) oil
everything down so you don't get any rust in there. Leave the rods wrapped
in an oily rag (one for each rod) with the caps bolted on...

Get a set of cleaning brushes from Pegasus or one of those places (Summit
Racing) to clean out the holes. Then pull all the freeze plugs and oil
gallery plugs. Make sure the oil passenges are clean! If you have any
machine work done, clean it again when you get it back.

Chase all the bolt holes with a clean tap and some solvent.

When it's done, carefully bag it so no new dirt can be introduced. Summit
even sells big bags made for this purpose. Keep in mind, though, if you
trap moisture in the bag, you may increase the chance of things rusting, so
make sure you store things in a dry area if you'll be taking any time off
from this project.

The cylinder bores and the lifter bores seem to rust exceedingly easily. I
wipe 'em down with some motor oil and that eliminates the problem.

Later,
rml
TR6's