Re: Easy cam removal?

To: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Easy cam removal?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 07:19:25 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Can a (GT6 Mk3) cam be replaced without removing the cylinder head?
>I know the rockers and push-rods must be removed regardless.
************************************
This applies to any push rod/lifter type engine -
If your replacing the perfectly good original cam that came out of this
particular engine, and you raise every lifter to allow you to slide the cam
back in, then yes, it would be OK.   If you are replacing the cam with a
new or different used one then NO.  NO, NO, NO! You will need to replace
the lifters (tappets).  If you can do this without pulling the head the
fine.  Some engines (GT6 included from what I remember, the head gasket
gets in the way) require you, for one reason or another, to pull the head
to remove the lifters.  NEVER PUT A NEW CAM IN WITH OLD LIFTERS.  lifters
and cams are designed to mate together during run in and you stand a VERY
good chance of ruining a perfectly god cam by doing this.  Lifters are NOT
flat as many people assume.  They have a very slight crown (around .002 or
so) ground into them.  After running in each lifter will mate with the
running surface of it's respective cam lobe.  This will not be the same as
the ground surface of a new cam, or even a good used one as each mated set
varies slightly.  Besides this, chances are if you are replacing the cam
because it's worn the lifters WILL BE WORN also!  These will just destroy
your new cam in short order.  DO NOT USE OLD LIFTERS WITH A NEW CAM! Any
reputable cam vendor will tell you this, and its not just to sell lifters -

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project