Re: Do I need help?! Another Spitfire Prospect!!

To: <triumph@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: Do I need help?! Another Spitfire Prospect!!
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 14:36:02 -0000
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> The problem on this side of the pond is that Spitfires are
seriously
> undervalued!

IMHO and from what I've seen on the list over the last year since
I've been subscribing to it, looks like ALL Triumphs in North America
are seriously under valued. This surely has much to do with general
availability - rust buckets notwithstanding. As us poor Brits and
Europeans in days of yore had to wait an eternity for a Triumph
sports car (unless you knew how to work the system) North America
took about 75% of production. It's probably more an issue of supply
and demand. If supply is restricted on almost anything, (even today)
the prices firm up.

(Actually, this is good for us that truly admire and
> appreciate what the car is!)

I certainly won't disagree on that.

 I purchased my rust free '80 in #1
> condition with the optional hardtop and overdrive with 45,000 miles
for
> $3,000 four years ago.  The car sat on a used car lot for an entire
> summer at an asking price of $5,000.  There was no interest in the
car
> at that level and I informed the owner that I would return in the
fall
> and the car would still be there and I would then gladly pay him
the
> $3,000 that I had offered him to begin with.  That fall the
Spitfire was
> mine!
>
> About a year ago, for entertainment purposes only, I put a for sale
sign
> on it for $4,950 at a major show to judge people's reaction.  The
sign
> got noticed frequently!  However, the most frequent comment
overheard
> was $5,000 for a Spitfire!

Not so long ago, someone on the list said that the trouble with US
pricing of these cars was that (almost quote) "we're too cheap."
unquote. Long may it continue for those of us who can't afford a UK
spec car in good order. Still makes it worth while to tramp around
California or wherever and do a re-import. Okay, it's cack-handed but
that doesn't matter and when the time comes, you can always shift it
into Europe to sell.

> The enthusiasm (and money) in the States for Triumphs generally
tends to
> the TR series.  Heck, the wedge cars are even frowned upon unless
they
> have V8 power!  Stag's generally bring decent money but the
> TR2/3/4/250/6 are held to be the valuable Triumphs.  I
wholeheartedly
> disagree but I know that I'm in the minority.  As fewer truly nice
> Spitfires and GT6's are found over here (salt on our roads during
winter
> really eats them up)

We know that problem too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

, I'm sure the price will tend higher on the better
> examples.
>
> Looking for an outstanding GT6!

Absolutely NO CHANCE! It's not for sale and I doubt it ever will be.
In fact, I don't plan to sell any of them The original Dunlop SP68's
must be worth a bit in their own right.

John