TR6 - Clutch Replacement

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 - Clutch Replacement
From: "Martin Gonzales" <mxgo@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:01:45 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
After finding that the clutch release bearing needed replacement, I ordered
the "easier to operate clutch kit" from BPNW.  And thanks to a triumph owner
on the list,  I found, of course some may disagree, that the pin on the
bearing holder is not needed.

After removing the transmission without assistance and installing the the
new clutch, I then attempted to reinstall the transmission by myself.  And
much to mine pleasure, I found that I could do it myself by using two 4 inch
5/16 inch bolts, with the heads cutoff, as dowels to guide the transmission
into the flywheel.  I placed the two bolts on the top end of the bell
housing mount on the engine side.  And after quite a bit of jiggling and
using a jack with a small piece of 2" X 4" mounted on top under the
transmission, I was able to reinstall the transmission.

To tighten the top 9 or 12 bolts and nuts that attach the transmission to
the engine,  I attached, with duct tape, a wrench on the engine side to hold
the bolt inplace while I tightened the nuts.

I have relayed the above story, for others, who like me,  are mechanically
challenged.

Martin
73 TR6
San Jose, CA