Re: Voltage Stabilizer, was re: electric oil

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Voltage Stabilizer, was re: electric oil
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 22:50:22 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Dan Masters <DANMAS@aol.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Tony Rhodes wrote:

> In the same vein, I wonder if the voltage stabilizer (actually a 10 volt
> regulator)
> is one of those things that could be changed to modern semiconductors.  I=
> will be able to maintain 10v over a broad range of input voltages, and th=

It's already been done.  I have a solid state voltage stabilizer in my TR4
(made it hard to find, as I was looking for a big monstrous coily thing,
not a little black box with spade lugs!)

These are available from many of the mail-order houses.  But I think you
wouldn't have any trouble rigging your own; and I'm pretty sure they're
not too cheap either ($15 for a hunk of silicon and some wire?) so you
should save yourself a bit of money.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm