Re: TR250 into a TR5 won't go?

To: Cameron Greig <cameron@enterprise.net>
Subject: Re: TR250 into a TR5 won't go?
From: Glenn Merrell <gmerrel@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 13:42:48 -0700
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hello Cameron,
        I did quite a bit of TR 250 work back in the '70's, and owned one for
12+
years.  The TR250 engine should be rated at 109 bhp.  The engine differences are
indeed in the camshaft, also, pushrods, pistons, intake and exhaust manifolds,
exhaust system, and not only carbies vs PI, but ZS-175CD emission carbies with
EGR.  Most all of the same performance enhancements for the TR6 are straight
across boltups to a TR250 engine, like webers, tubular headers, cam reprofile,
port-polish-flow bench the cylinder head, are all qualifying period
modifications that should not deduct from car originality or concours.
Arguably, there were no TR250's "supposedly" delivered to the US with PI, but I
know that some dealers changed out to PI at some customers requests installing
the TR5 camshaft and exhaust system, and there are a very few 250's that went
through Triumph Tune first.  Seems like some dealers had "ways" to get cars into
the states with these modifications.  The TR5 was also standard with OD, where
it was an option on the TR250.  TR5's came standard with wire wheels, the TR250
with steel wheels and mag style wheel covers.  TR5's in the US were mainly left
over from auto shows, special order imports, or owners cars from US Service men
returning back to the states.

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell
Triumph Stag Register USA VP

Member of:
VTR, RMTC, TSC USA, TSR, SOC

"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
See it at the site below:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html

REGISTER YOUR STAG on the STAG DATABASE (courtesy of Dave Sims):
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/gcj72/index.shtml

Support your Local and National Triumph Clubs

Vintage Triumph Register membership inquiry's:
Andrew Mace, President
http://www.vtr.org/brochure/membership-form.html

Triumph Stag Club, USA membership inquiry's to:
Bruce Krobusek, President
Mike Coffey, Chairman; VTR Stag Vehicle Consultant
mailto:brucekro@compuserve.com

Triumph Stag Register UK membership inquiry's to:
Mike Wattam, Chairman
mailto:101714.1343@compuserve.com