Crank journal radiusing

To: "TR-TRIUMPH LIST" <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Crank journal radiusing
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 07:35:58 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Scions, another rebuild question; this time the crankshaft machining.

The machine shop I am using prefers to provide a full 180° degree undercut
on each side of the journal bearing, as opposed to a 90° degree fillet.  It
is not a big undercut, probably less that 3/32 of an inch in diameter, but
it's different than what I expected.

Technically, in terms of stress risers or concentrators, it's a good method.
I just don't have the experience to know how it affects the bearing during
engine operation.

Anybody have any experience with full 180° degree undercuts on a crank.
Should this be avoided on a TR2-4 engine?

BTW - this machinist knows his stuff.  He is highly regarded by local
mechanics and racers.  He works on everything; European, American, Japanese
and diesel, but his eyes light up when you talk performance.

Thanks,

Jack