Re: synthetic vs. organic

To: "padraic mullin" <paddyfm@hotmail.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: synthetic vs. organic
From: "Ron and Angie" <nottingham@alltel.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 12:20:30 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
>forgive me if this is a duplicate inquiry
>i want to know if i should use synthetic oil (someone recommended using
>mobil 15w 50 synthetic in my next oil change)
>i currently run organic in both my cars (64 mgb & 64 tr4 )both engines
>are total rebulids w/ less than 1,000 miles on them

I run 20W50 Mobil 1 synthetic in my Spitfire.  I have not had any problems,
or leaks.  I have noticed, though, the engine does run a bit cooler.  If you
are using real rubber (not neoprene) in any seals, though, I would not
suggest using synthetic, as I have heard that organic helps keep the seals
from drying out and synthetic does not.

This is from my experience, as I have put ~10K miles on my Spitfire while
using Mobil 1.  I have tried lighter weight oils, but it seems to run better
with 20W50.

Ron and Angie - Dalton, Ga
84 300ZX Turbo    77 Spitfire      92 Tempo GLS    62 Vitesse
IZCC# 4779
"I gotta go, you're killing me!" - Kim Peterson, WGST 105.7, Atlanta