TR3 Cranking Rpms - Phase Deux!

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 Cranking Rpms - Phase Deux!
From: Gbouff@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 23:23:45 EST
The euphoria experienced on the engine start up was short lived.  Upon pulling
the head, I found the following problems.  # 4 cylinder is sucking the exhaust
valve, and #3 shows some green corrosion on the piston side of the head gasket
which probably accounts for the lower compression in that cylinder.  In for a
penny in for a pound, I guess that I' ll do a complete head rebuild due the
the above problems.

However the real disappointment is a significant vertical score mark on #2
cylinder, about .005-.008 deep and probably due to a ring sticking.  Because
of this, I was thinking about pulling the pistons and breaking the glaze and
then honing the cylinder walls.  Has anyone done this, and if so, what size
rings do I buy?

The one good thing is that there is less than .006 thrust end play in the
crank shaft and no detectable play on the mains and journals.

Well, it was a good feeling while it lasted.

Gary Bouffard
TS 58399