Re: FW: Interior Panels

To: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: FW: Interior Panels
From: Roger Elliott <relliott@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 23:06:20 -0600
Listers,

I  am sorry that this was sent to the list, but since it was I decided to
respond here.

Peter.

The unfortunate thing about email is that there are no vocal nuances or
facial expressions to help gauge the senders attitude.  Since I don't know
you and the first contact I had with you was  >" Look, do you want original
panels or just something to cover the opening  in the sheet metal?  There
are a lot of ways to cover the opening - duct  tape will do!"  I had no
choice but to read it at face value.  It came across as belittling,
patronizing and insulting.  So I am sure I responded with an attitude.

As a Moss Motors employee of course you are allowed an opinion and if you
had said something like "I believe that this won't produce good results.
You would probably be more satisfied if you purchased a door set from ..."
That, I would have accepted as an opinion and it would not have bothered me
at all.

Yes, I have had good experiences ordering parts from Moss  and the sales
staff has been courteous.  However, since you chose to use your company
name, position, phone and fax numbers in your signature, it is as far as I
am concerned the same as if I received a letter on company letterhead, or a
call from your service department.  Like most customers, it only takes one
experience that made me this upset,  for me to decide to do business with
someone that seems to appreciate my business more.

I tried, admittedly in not the most diplomatic way, to let you know I wasn't
happy with your contact and that I would have to consider shopping
elsewhere.  You chose to send a response, to my private email to you, to a
public list.  Because of this, there is no longer even a consideration if I
will do business with Moss Motors in the near future.

Yes, it is wonderful to buy the correct part, but it is not always
economically feasible or reasonable. An interior panel kit for my TR4 costs
$389.95 from Moss (they don't sell just the door panels) So,  if I can fix
it for a couple hours labor and a few bucks in materials and still have it
look good - yes I will do it.  Especially, if the choice is spending money
on parts that keeps the car running or making it look better.  I suspect the
majority of the listers and most of Moss customers have had to make these
choices at one time or another.

I was just trying to let a fellow lister know that some times there are way
to get good results with out having to spend a lot of money.  And yes,  I
know that good results are possible doing what I described. There is a man
in one of clubs that I belong to that repeatedly wins first place with one
of his cars that has a panel repaired in the manor I suggested.

Roger Elliott