TR4: Oil pressure feed pipe & tatooed stud

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4: Oil pressure feed pipe & tatooed stud
From: Will Daehler <wdaehler@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:53:14 +1300
I'm putting the oil filter head back on the TR4 block.  Pulling four
fasteners out of the ziplock bag, where they had been carefully stored
fifteen months earlier.

Three bolts, all of different lengths, turn in like flint, and then
comes the challenge: the stud and the oil pressure pipe hardware.  The
oil pipe and brass slip ring feeds the oil pressure gage.  There's two
copper washers, and a stud,  and an acorn nut for the balance of
hardware.

I can't believe this is the right stud.  It looks like a normal 5/16 th
stud with fine thread on one end and course on the other.  I threaded it
into the block.  How is the pressure of engine oil supposed to slip out
to the ring on the oil feed hose?  Osmosis?  Telepathy?  This stud is
way too short anyway.  By the time all the hardware is assembled, there
is nothing left for the acorn to grab onto.

The Moss TR4 catalog is no help.  Every piece of hardware is listed and
available, except this stud.  Balloon #39 is missing.  That the part I
need.  Missing for a good reason I bet.

The stud I would expect to see would be a specialized one.  Machined in
some way.  Like hollowed out, or slotted, drilled, turned or milled.
Or in some way tatooed.

Can anyone help?