"Moving" the TR6 clutch pedal?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: "Moving" the TR6 clutch pedal?
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 17:49:00 -0800
Just got done replacing the clutch in the TR6.  Thank you all for the
suggestions on the bushings, etc.  I solved the fork/pin issue by having a
local machinist make up a new pin, and that I'm sure will work perfectly.
The bushings for the cross-shaft came from TRF and were twice the width of
the old ones that came out, so I just used one per side.

The clutch works fine and all, except that it "grabs" way down close to the
floor.  I mean WAY DOWN.  Incidentally, I rebuilt the clutch master and
slave, so the hydraulics are in reasonably good condition.  I also repaired
the stretched hole in the yoke on the master cylinder pushrod, so I've
eliminated quite a bit of lost motion in the entire linkage.  (New sleeve,
new fork pins, new shaft, new bushings, etc.)

Has anyone else remedied this characteristic by making modifications to the
pushrods on either the slave or master cylinder?  Would fabricating an
adjustable-length pushrod for the slave allow you to adjust this?  Or would
any such modification simply be compensated back out by the
"self-adjusting" slave cylinder?  Any suggestions on how to improve this?
I'd sure like to see the clutch grabbing right about half-way through the
pedal's travel.

Thanks!

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6