Re: TRF Spring Compressor

To: suhring@lancnews.infi.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TRF Spring Compressor
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 08:07:43 -0500
Hi Scott,
     You asked:

<snip>
>It is apparent that this must work from the inside of the
>front spring but there sin't anything to "catch" the spring
>other than these 2 plates which slide losely up and down the
>rod.
>
>Could someone please describe how this works to compress the
>front springs?

It doesn't work from inside the spring per se; it actually replaces
the shock absorber.  What you need to do, is to remove the shock,
then take off the nut and two thick washers from the top of the
spring compressor.  Slide the threaded rod up through the spring
pan, through the spring and out the top of the shock tower.  Replace
the two thick washers and the nut on top (there might be a jam nut
as well, the tool is at home and I'm at work so this is all from
memory).  At the bottom, the flat aluminum plate is held in postion
by the four studs that held the bottom of the shock.  Tighten the nut
at the bottom to compress the spring, then remove the nuts that
hold the lower spring pan in place.  Back off the spring compressor
slowly and the lower spring pan will come away from the lower
wishbones, releasing the spring.  I hope that's all clear enough.

good luck,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu