Yikes! Clutch help needed

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Yikes! Clutch help needed
From: Tom Rollins <tom@ntcs-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 21:53:12 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
I installed the engine in my TR-6 this last weekend.  I was rigging the
clutch slave cylinder and was testing the clutch action for the first time
when I realized that the clutch didn't seem to be engaging.  I pulled the
started and had a look with a mirror and verified that the fork is sliding
the sleeve with the throw out bearing, and that the bearing is sliding up
the springs on the pressure plate, but I can't put enough force on the lever
to compress the springs.  What have I done wrong?  The clutch was sourced
locally and came in an AP brand box, although it was stamped Borg&Beck. The
pressure plate however wasn't the same as the one that I had previously
which was also a Borg&Beck.  Any suggestions?  I am hoping to get out of
this without having to pull the motor again.

Anxiously awaiting salvation from my own probable stupidity,

Tom Rollins
tom@ntcs-inc.com