Re: BS AU48 1965

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: BS AU48 1965
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:21:51 -0000
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

> In researching a rather peculiar commission plate on a Mk3
Spitfire, I
> noticed the referenced alpha numeric sequence at the bottom.  In my
> search for an explanation of this sequence, I have seen this on
several
> commission plates for both Spitfires and GT6's.
 > In addition ot what I referenced above, some plates have it with
> punctuation marks as follows:
>         B.S. A.U.48:1965
 > My questions here are:
 > 1.  Does anybody know the significance of this series?
> 2.  Is this series repeated on other Triumphs as well?

Hi, Joe

I checked today with Rover Research and Development at GDEC.

This is quite an old number which has been superceded and the problem
is you can't go backwards from the current number (which is
completely different anyway). B.S. means British Standard A.U. means
Authority. Then 48.1965 relates to an official UK certification
relating to the conformity of seat belt anchorages. At least, that's
what R&D believe it to be.

For the record, British Standards are all encompassing and cover a
whole multitude of minimum operating requirements. The number was not
selective in terms of the cars to which it was fixed. It was a UK
legal requirment for the number to be stamped on all commission
plates - regardless of the eventual destination of the vehicle.

Regards
John Mac