Re: TR Racing Transmissions

To: "INTERNET:Brad.Kahler@141.com" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR Racing Transmissions
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 12:00:41 -0500
Message text written by INTERNET:Brad.Kahler@141.com
>Ok, Tony.  Spill the beans.  What new TR4A are you talking about !<

Well, I have the itch real bad.  I saw a TR4A in pretty good condition with
no major active problems (2 small rust spots in the paint).  I got it at an
OK price (not a steal).  I will drive it until my baby comes out of
restoration
and gets sorted out.

It has some sort of racing history but is tight nevertheless.  Restored
about 10 years ago.
Transmission has gear noise that I am hoping isdue to straight cut gears.
My local
expert says it is not the sound of a clearly sick transmission.  The former
owner
doesn't know anything about it.  The owner previous to him was told it was
indeed
straight cut gears.  He never had the trans apart, however.  He also had
some
noise without problems (except occasional popping out of 3rd).  I will try
to trace the
history farther back.  The car is reputed to have spent most of its life in
Arizona.  Hence little rust.

-Tony