Re: TR6 Suspension Rebuild

To: tr66pack@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Suspension Rebuild
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 17:23:44 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

You asked about TR6 suspension upgrades...

I've done the following:

Spax shocks in front
Urethane bushings everywhere
New Moss comp springs (they are lower than the TRF ones and you don't have
to cut any coils out.)
ADDCO 7/8 inch front bar
ADDCO 3/4 rear bar

The ride is firm, not harsh. The car corners "real good" and very flat. I
drive the car a lot, I've put about 20k miles on the car since I updated
everything, it is way better than the stock setup. I compete in SCCA D
Street Prepared and I'm actually semi-competitive in the car, but not a
front runner. FWIW, I've also done pretty well at VTR autox events with two
1sts and a second for the last three consecutive years in the M4 class.

The urethane bushings cost around $125 from most of the vendors. If you
want real harsh, I suppose Nylotron is harder than urethane... I got my
bushings from British Parts Northwest.

Oh, if you go to a rear bar and you autox a lot, you should think about
getting a Quaiffe or some other posi-trac.

I'm rebuilding the rear shocks this winter and will apply the JK Jackson
"tricks" (that were reported in Grassroots Motor Sports) to re-valve the
rear shocks when I get 'em back from Apple.

In fact the suspension that I setup om my '74 is so good, that I'm building
a second car with mostly that same suspension on it, but I'm going to put
MORE POWER under the hood. I'll let the list know how that works out.

One drawback to the Addco rear bar setup, there's almost no ground
clearance under the trailing arms... Hi Dennis!. I've scrubbed mine a few
times when driving over curbs. FWIW, there's a real nice rear bar setup
from Revington TR that attaches to the upper rear crossmember - no ground
clearance problems there!

If I was doing it all again... hey wait! I am! I'd suggest that you try to
get either the front or rear bat to be adjustable somehow. Then you can
fine tune the car for differing conditions - for example, I'd love to be
able to soften my rear bar a bit when on slick surfaces. It would make the
car way more drivable in some of the events that I attend.

Later,
rml
TR6's