Re: SU Carb Fuel Lines

To: Frank Crowe <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: SU Carb Fuel Lines
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 14:43:06 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> I agree, but I've never been sure about the practicality of this
> overflow!  It seems to me that if one of my carbs overflow, this fuel is
> not going to be somehow sucked into the air intake, but instead is going
> to drip straight down onto the exhaust manifold and create one hell of a
> fire!

This happened to me.  It did not catch fire (but scared the bejesus out of
me)

I put a rag under the float so that the fuel wouldn't stay close to the
hot manifold.  This was in a parking lot right after my first "long" run
with the TR4!  I'm sure a little chunk of rust or goop made the float bowl
stick.

Nothing of the sort has happened since; however, I have had the tank
cleaned out and kept the float bowls in good shape.

I would really like to switch to Grose jets, but first I need to replace
one float (it's got a bit of a crack in it; I've patched it but I think
it's riding low & causing a rich mixture)

Might try my hand at small-scale soldering.  Not looking forward to such a
prospect though.  (especially on something that might have trace amounts
of gasoline in it!!)

For now the overflows have been routed away from the manifolds.  Just wish
I had more money; the college is demanding many hundreds of dollars of me
though, and they come first :-(

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm