Re: Welders

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Welders
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 06:45:01 EST

<< Listers,
 I am in the market for a welder, and would like some advise. I have heard
 of the MIG with the flux core wire, which does not require a gas sheild
 from a separate tank.

 Has anyone used this setup and if so how did it work for you. What are the
 advantages and disadvantages. Or should i go with the inert gas equipped
 MIGs. (sounds like some new Russian fighter!)

 Thanks again,
 Jack '74 TR6  >>

Jack,

I would recommend buying one that can be converted to gas at a later date if
you choose.  I bought a Century (80/130 amp) brand welder about a year ago.
It came with the hardware for the gas, which I opted to use, and had to buy a
tank for the gas shielding.  The welds are much cleaner than when using flux
wire, and there's less slag to clean up.  If you're not concerned with slag
free welds to clean up, then the flux would work fine.

The reason I bought the 80/130 amp welder is that it can be fine tuned for
whatever gauge steel I am using.  The 80 amp for light gauge, and 130 amp
setting for heavy gauge up to 1/4".  There is a variable setting for amperage
and wire speed in each range.  The 80 amp setting doesn't draw as much current
either, which means you can use it with lower amperage breakers, which might
come in handy if you happen to need to do work in a garage that can only
handle 15 amps.

There are lots of brands to choose from, you just need to weed through them,
find all the options that you need, and find a good price.

No expert in this field, just sharing what I've learned.....

Scott Helms