Re: TR6 shear bolts

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 shear bolts
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 07:31:18 -0800

>>Listers;
>>Has anyone replaced the steering column bushings in a TR6? Can you give me
>>advice on how to handle shear bolts "easily"?  Also, need a timing cover
>>for a 70' TR6 engine- any to sell?

I've got good news and I've got bad news, Steve.  The bad news is that no
matter how you slice it, those damned shear bolts are a pain in the @#*%!!!
The good news is that you don't HAVE to replace them with shear bolts
again.  I used socket head cap screws (allen head bolts, that is) of the
same thread.  Now, I realize that the purpose of the shear bolts is to
thwart any attempt by a thief to bypass the steering lock mechanism, but on
a TR6, simply the location of the steering lock is hindrance enough to
discourage a thief.  Besides, it's been demonstrated to me before,
painfully, that thieves have other far more simple ways to disable the
steering lock on any car... namely, my old '76 Datsun B210 4-door, which
was stolen TWICE up in the Seattle area several years back.  They just
pounded a scredriver into the key slot and blew the tumblers to
smithereens, apparently.

Back to removal, I remember stuffing my head into the footwell, legs
flailing about over the seatback, and after having loosened the column
mounts enough, I rotated the column so the heads of the bolts are facing
down.  Then I just drove them out little by little by digging in with the
chisel and tapping with a hammer.  How I did this all within the confines
of the drivers' footwell, I'll never know.

Good luck.

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6