RE: TR6 Limited Slip Differentials

To: "'Janssen, Lee K'" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 Limited Slip Differentials
From: "Ricker, Brian R." <rickerbr@Maritz.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 12:23:31 -0600 charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> Looking at the old Dec 94 Grassroots Motorsports they state "the best
> limited slip differential for a TR-6 is a Salisbury ... a
> Detroit Locker is
> a good budget alternative ... our expert says that these
> (Quaife) don't
> really work well in the TR-6."
> Of course the big 3 only carry the Quaife. WHY??
> Does anyone have a line on either the Detroit Locker or
> Salisbury units?
> Thanks in advance
> Lee Janssen
> Sunny (I hope) Denver CO

Is there a Locker rearend that is truely limited slip? Doesn't this type
of rear-end simply not provide any speed differential between the axles
("locked")? I know that's what circle track guys use (and they even differ
the sizes of the left and right rear tires (stagger)). I would think this
wouldn't play well with IRS (one axle would hop around corners?). Along this
line an even cheap alternative is to weld the differential (my dad did this
on
his ITB Rabbit).