gearbox oils

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: gearbox oils
From: "DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 01:18:51 -0700
hi Carl; and other interested listers;
        I've had good luck with Redline MT-90. This is a non EP manual
transmision
oil that is a full synthetic. It has friction modifiers to work well with
syncromesh and shifts FAR better in freezing weather than other oils
commonly used.  Call redline and ask what they recomend to be safe, but in
15 yrs and many hundreds of thousands of miles in mine and my customers
cars, I can say only good things. They also make a lighter oil with the
same application called Redline MTL. It must be noted that most of the
trannys using these oil were not brittish , but many did have Leycock
overdrives. I think the results are relevant to Brittish trannys.
        Thier engine oils are also great. I use them in any engine that I want
last under hard use. In my Ducati motorcycle, I ran low coming home from
Laguna Seca (1800 mi) and had to add a quart of petroleum oil.(One of the
nice things about most Redline oils is that they are compatable with dino
oil) The difference in the shifting was small but instantly noticable.(the
engine shares it's oil with the gearbox) I changed it as soon as I was
home.

Don Boyd
----------
> From: CarlSereda@aol.com
> To: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: No Subject
> Date: Friday, October 16, 1998 1:40 PM
>

> <<I bought some straight weight SAE50 Castrol oil.  Is that sufficient
for my
> tranny and OD?>>
> the SERVICE INSTRUCTION MANUAL for the LAYCOCK DE NORMANVILLE OVERDRIVE
UNIT
> (published around 1958? for the TR2,Vanguard and Renown "A' Type Units -
> courtesy copy from Ken Nuelle)
> says; The oil in the the overdrive is common whith that in the gearbox.
The
> oil to use is ordinary mineral oil in the folllowing grades:
> Normal summer climates - S.A.E. 30
> Normal winter climates - S.A.E. - 20
> Under no circumstances should extreme pressure oils be used....additives
can
> cause sludging.
> Oil capacity is as follows....
> Triumph TR2 - 3 1/2 pints (2 litres)
> Correct level must be carefully maintained...remove both plugs to
> drain....refilling through gearbox filler hole only....after refilling
drive
> short distance ...and top off again with oil. Cleanliness is  the keynote
> satisfactory performance...smallest amount of dirt will cause great
> difficulty...clean filler plug first each time before removing it.
Regular