RE: Re-emergence of Triumph and Austin Healey names

To: "'jonmac'" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Re-emergence of Triumph and Austin Healey names
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:38:58 -0500
It's a sad state of affairs, but you know that if the marketing types at Big
Motor Works figure out they can move an extra 20,000 cars by using one of
the "classic" sports car names....

How's this as an idea:  the US clubs (maybe with VTR support (hint hint
Andy)) make a pre-emptive strike and drop BMW a note letting them know how
ill recieved the idea would be and maybe suggest that such a move would
cause all the "classic" owners in the US to shy away from new BMWs.

What would the feeling be from the group if what's left of the Rover group
in the UK built a new model and badged with the Triumph name?  If it were
truly an unique car (not shared with any others) would that be a bit easier
to swallow?  If so, that could be part of the communication to B&W

Just my thoughts.

Jim