Re: TR6: main/rod bearings - progress report

To: triumph@shiseis.com
Subject: Re: TR6: main/rod bearings - progress report
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 19:32:25 EDT
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< When I'm finished, I'll write up a step-by-step "how to", with all
 the really useful tips left out in the Haynes and Bentley manuals.

 Cheers,

        Shane Ingate in San Diego

 PS: Thrust-washer grooves.  The VTR page is very unclear on this,
 and so too is the Haynes and Bentley manuals (some folk say the Bentley
 manual is wrong).  There is a very EASY way to remember which way
 the washers go in: when installed, the grooved surfaces of the washers
 must face AWAY from each other.

Shane,

The grooves need to be facing away from the main bearing(s) because the
bearing already gets its oil supply from within the crankshaft.  The thrust
washers need the oil grooves to get their supply from the oil being splashed
elswhere.

Looking foreward to your write-up.....

Scott Helms