Re: British car day report

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: British car day report
From: triumph@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 98 09:57:56 PDT
Barry,

        Indeed, it was a magnificent day.  Sorry I did not get to
talk to you; there were so many cars and so many people, that I probably
saw only 50% of the cars on display!  I estimate over 300 of Britains
finest!

        I did chat with Laura and her Weber'd Spit.  A stunning car
that I think she has owned only a short time.    I asked her about
smogging; there are ways around it :)

        Triumph was the second-largest marque on display (after MG).  I
was astounded by the number of very-high quality TR4s and TR6s on display
(kinda made me want to park "Rags" next to the used-and abused
Mark I Land Rovers!).  What astounded me more was that MOST of the
Triumph owners were relatively new owners, having purchased their
cars in the past 12 months.  They were not the greasy-nail and smashed
knuckle brigade, and had clearly bought their cars already restored.
Does this mean that there is increased interest in Triumph cars?

        Also speaking with owners I was suprized at how many were concerned
about the number of Brit (and other Euro) cars being exported back to England
and Japan.  The Brits will buy just about anything that says "Made in England",
whereas the Japanese are particularly finnicky about their choice.  Can you
believe that the Renault-engined Lotus Europas sell for 3X as much as the
Ford/Lotus-engined Europas in Japan?  Hellooooo?????

        Alas, my heart was stolen by the newly restored Le Mans Tiger,
one of 3 in the world.  Alongside the Italia, XK-E coupe and GT6, this
rare Tiger has to be the prettiest fastback in the world.  An interesting
1961 design feature is the Kamm tail, pre-dating Pete Brock's design for
the Shelby Daytona in 1964, and our own TR6 in 1969.

        The Mini-brigade were out in force, and ya got to hand it to these
folk, they know how to laugh and gave a fun time.  It must be some sort
of mental illness that comes from spending $10K on a 100mph rollerskate
with as much driver protection as a shoebox.  I want one!

        There was an interesting RHD Jaguar D-type replica for sale at $35K.
A glorious car, but on closer inspection, it was still a "kit car",
regardless of what the owner thinks.  Fiberglass cannot replicate
riveted aluminum.  Still, there is an fast-growing industry in the UK
in "replicas" of almost any car.  I gave up nailing cheap poster-repros
of Dali and Escher prints on my wall in University days.  If it aint steel,
it aint real!

        British Car Day in San Diego is the premier event of the year
for any Brit-car nut.  Looking out over the field of 300+ cars from 12+
manufacturers from the 1950-60s (plus some motorcycles) makes me think
of the prodigious output of the British car industry, particularly in the
area of inspired sports and grand-touring cars.

        On Sun Oct 18, we have the Torrey Pines Concourse d'Elegance
(featured marque is Alfa Romeo), Fri-Sat 13-14 November we have
Retromobile USA at the San Diego Convention Center, and Sat-Sun 14-15
November we have the Vintage Races at Coronado.  Look out Monterey,
San Diego is quickly shaping up to be THE premier location for historic
and vintage car adoration!

        Shane Ingate, stoked in San Diego