Re: TR6 Overdrive question

To: tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us
Subject: Re: TR6 Overdrive question
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 06:47:33 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< After a couple of really pleasurable weeks under my belt, I'm at the stage
 of wanting to reduce the RPM pulled on our local US interstate to something
 my ears and eyes can cope with - 4000rpm just looks high!  I've found a
 local TR4 that is complete (although totally rusted thro'), with an
 overdrive gearbox that I can obtain at a very reasonable cost ... can
 anyone tell me whether I can add the '4 O/D to a 72 TR6 box?  I know from
 the FAQs and previous emails that the prop shaft will need to be shortened
 if an O/D is added, but beyond that I'm at a loss.

 On the TR4 front, if anyone in mid-MI is interested in bits, please email
 me directly and I'll see what the owner will do (he's not a Triumph fan,
 nor does he have email, but he does have a complete but sad BRG '4 ...).

 Tony Gordon

Tony
You can rebuild the TR4 g-box and drop it right into your car. If you want to
keep the TR6 g-box block you will have to change at least the mainshaft from
the early trans into the TR6 and possibly more. The early TR6 trans was
essentially identical to TR4 as far as internal parts go. But I think around
73 or so the input and mainshaft were changed. I don't believe it is possible
to mount an A type OD on a late tranny unless all the "guts" are changed to
the early type as well.
I don't think you have to do anything to the prop shaft at all. 'Cept maybe
lube it.
BTW there is a way to test the OD when you get it to make sure it works. Have
the trans/OD in hand, on the bench. Make sure there's oil in it and chuck a
1/2" drill to the input. Spin the gearbox with the drill while in in top gear.
Operate the OD lever by hand and listen to the whine, it should change when
the OD is activated. Or you can hook up a speedo to it and read the dial. It
should drop a bit when the OD is activated. You don't wanna spend the time to
drop an OD in your car that doesn't work!

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4