SUs v.s. Zs (Carbs)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SUs v.s. Zs (Carbs)
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 16:30:19 EDT
<<i work on certain swedish cars that came
with both, and the zs seem to hold up better over time. su's in good shape
are easier to work with.>>

Don , any of this sound familiar?
I have both Zs and SUs carbs... on my '64 TR4 and my '63 122S Volvo. Both cars
have a bit of trouble at idle (can't get idle as low as I like without
bumbling and shaking (engine that is - I'm still fairly stable). Is there an
easy way to determine if it's the throttle shafts or other air-leaks or both
or some other prob (like manifold gasket leak)? I have replaced only some
parts (needles/jets, diaphrams, seals, etc and made adjustments regarding mix
and sync. Both SUs and Z shafts do have approximately .010 play at shaft.
Oddly my Triumph engine with Z carbs stops dead when I kill the ignition but
the SU'ed carbed engine runs on and on and on (have to smack it with the
clutch to stop it).
Would appreeciate your insights,
Carl
ps1; thanks for the tip on carb cleaner and Z diaphrams...I won't do that
again!
ps2; I rarely have to top off damper oil in SUs but frequently on Zs. Is there
a way to fix that?