RE: Carb Sync

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Carb Sync
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 09:14:55 -0600

One interesting aspect to this situation...

I have a recently acquired (from TRF) Unisyn tool. Can't make the thing work
so that the red thing lifts to the middle of the clear tube. No matter how I
adjust the small disc in the middle. Best I can get is 1/4 of the way up.
The tool has "TAIWAN" cast into the housing along with some part number
stuff.

I also have a Unisyn (on loan from a friend) which is much older and
although it looks exactly the same as the new one, does not have "TAIWAN" on
it. Same part number. With this one I have no problem adjusting the middle
disc so that the red thing gets lifted to the middle of the clear tube. No
matter what rpm the engine turns at. Works like a charm. This is why I got
the new one from TRF but apparently the new ones really suck compared to
this old one.

I have been trying to match the new one to the old one by enlarging some of
the internal air passageways on the new one to match the larger bore of the
old one - so far no real progress. I have one more idea before I will return
the thing to TRF.

I posted a question about this recently and the consensus is that the new
ones are indeed incapable of measuring the air flow of TR6 ZS carbs. Perhaps
they can measure the airflow of an American V8 setup (the new Unisyn came in
a package marked Edelbrock) but on my car and apparently others' TR6s, it
ain't the case.

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO  Calgary,Canada ---