Re: Hercules Needed!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Hercules Needed!
From: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 04:59:31 -0700 (PDT)
---Jerry <lensman@erols.com> wrote:

> Alright, I've spent (2) evenings banging, prying, cursing and such
> trying to pry loose the ball joint on my '68 GT-6.

Hi Jerry, this is probably not what you want to hear, but I put off
replacing my ball joints for years because of all the horror stories
I'd heard about removing the old ones. When I finally made the
attempt, it took me about 15 minutes per side to remove and refit with
new ones! I was amazed how easy it was!

Anyway, what I did was spray some wd-40 around top and bottom where it
passes through the vertical link, then tap rapidly on the top and
bottom for about thirty seconds. This vibration helps to get the oil
into the joint and loosen it.

Then I spent a couple minutes removing the horizontal bolts attaching
it to the upper A-arms (is that what those are called?) Then I
repeated the oiling and tapping process.

Finally, I took my 8 inch ratchet extention (craftsman) held it up to
the bottom of the ball joint (directly in-line so the force goes
straight in the direction you want the ball joint to go) and gave it a
few good whacks with my plain old hammer. I was surprised when the
darn ball joint almost hit the cieling of the garage! Happened exactly
he same way both sides.

The key when hitting the thing is to be sure all the force you're
using is going in the direction you want.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
John Donohoe
'70 GT6+ (for lack of a better name...)