Re: Missed Opportunities

To: cavsct@concentric.net
Subject: Re: Missed Opportunities
From: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 20:39:33 -0400
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

cavsct@concentric.net wrote:

> I feel sick and I want to share my pain with the group.

   ~snip~

> She [the wife]said that she had found a 1967 TR4A for sale in the newspaper,

> ~snip~

> said " runs good, no rust", etc.  The asking price was printed as $495.

~snip~

> And OBTW, she [the seller]sold it one hour before my wife called.
>
>      So close, but yet so far.
>
>                     Rob Schuck
>                     '80 Spitfire
>                     ' 74 1/2 MGB
>                     '67 TR4 (almost!!!)

Rob,

  I'll bet everyone on the list has a similar story, here's mine.  While at
work I noticed
(on break, of course) the local selling paper (The Bargain News) had a TR 4- I
forget
what year- for sale for $100.  Since this was a weekly paper, and it had only
come out
that morning, and it was presently ten o'clock AM, I figured I had a shot.
  I called the man, an elderly sounding Italian man, and asked about the car.
He said it was
complete, and ran when parked five years earlier.  Sounded too good to be true!
 I figured
my boss would let me out early that day, so I began to ask the man where he
was, and how
to get there.  He replied that he had five people already on their way over-
two of which
promised that they would buy the car, and were arriving with flatbed trucks.
The man on the
phone said if I was still interested, to call back at noon, once those guys had
already come over,
and he'd give me directions then.  I said, "Nah, that's O.K." and wrote the
deal off.
  The truth is, amazing deals do happen, but only to those that hear about them
first, and are
willing and able to act quickly.  Just ask Henry Frye about that!! ;^)
  In case you didn't know Rob, Henry was able to get a good deal on a TR 250
and misc. parts
a few months ago for the very same reasons.

                                                         JOE IV
                                                         TR 250
                                              WALLINGFORD, CT. USA