non-functional rear brakes

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: non-functional rear brakes
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 13:08:27 +1000 (EST)
Dear Listers,

Having repacked the bearings, rebuilt the calipers, turned the discs,
reassembled and bled the front brakes, I was in the act of purging the rear
circuit with fresh fluid, when I made the following discoveries.

(NB. My TR7 rear brakes are bled only from the left-hand wheel cylinder, as
the hydraulic line goes to the right one first, and another line goes from
it to the left.)

1. It is almost impossible to get any fluid to come out of the left-rear
bleed nipple. In 40 minutes, I got about 10 ml, using both Eezibleed and
much pumping. The pedal was very hard when pumping.

2. Slightly opening a front bleed screw (thinking to fool the line-failure
valve, if it was being cute) had no effect, other than making the pedal move
easier and letting fluid out the front.

3. Disconnecting the line _into_ the right-rear allowed fluid to leak out;
disconnecting the line _from_ the right-rear did not result in fluid leakage.

4. The %^$#@*^* fitting on the line that goes between the rear wheels is
stripped, so I guess I will have to replace the line.

Has anyone experienced such a problem? I can think of further tests to do
(ie. disconnecting unions and making sure fluid flows from them), and I'm
suspecting that the right-rear wheel cylinder has a blocked input passage. I
replaced the wheel cylinders with rebuilt/exchange units, 3 years ago.

TIA.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia