Re: Oil Pressure Fixes - Fram filters

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Fixes - Fram filters
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 10:31:29 -0700
Cc: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
I read a study/evaluation on oil filters some time ago, so I'm weak on
the details.  I've used Fram filters for years, so I remember their
evaluation of Fram.  Filters were evaluated based on how effectively
they filtered different sized particles.  All filters did good on larger
particles.  The difference between Fram and the other well rated filters
occured at the smallest particle sizes.  Fram did not filter these tiny
particles very well, but it was speculated they were so small it didn't
matter, as they were smaller than any clearances in the engine.  The
assumption was these 'insignificant' particles would just clog the
filter and add resistance.  This kind of fits with one of the situations
described in an earlier post with different oil pressures.  If someone
can enlighten me on this issue, please do so.  I would expect that you
don't want your oil filter to add resistance to the oil flow.

Brian Kemp
72 TR6