Door trim revisited (kinda long) and thanks!

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Door trim revisited (kinda long) and thanks!
From: "Scott Decker" <sdecker@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 08:56:43 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"

First of all, thanks for all those of you who offered assistance on the
Furflex issue.  I COULD be wrong, but I believe I must have stumbled upon a
sore spot with lots of folks, and I can see why.  Just generically, I'd like
to offer the following comments for people looking to do this stuff in the
future:

1.)  The furflex door trim was (according to their label measurements) 20
feet, while in reality it was about 4 inches shorter than that, requiring
that I use a chunk that really belongs to the rear quarter windows.  I hope
their measurements are better on mechanical parts!  A pushrod 4 inches too
long could be a problem, eh!

2.)  No instructions with the VB kit made it difficult to figure out the
furflex.  MOST of the other stuff is pretty obvious, so that should be OK.
You'd think, though, that for that kind of money they might at least offer a
tiny, handwritten note about it or something.

3.)  As brought up in one of the replies, the new trunk seal for the GT6 was
so fat I'm having trouble closing the hatch.  My assumption is that it will
flatten with time.

Overall, my impression is that of several other listers, which is to say
that this vendor is making a huge profit on this stuff that may or may not
match the original parts in many ways.  I guess BMIHT didn't look at the
weather stripping when they granted the seal.  BTW, not that I'm opposed to
making a huge profit on something marginal, as I am a small business owner
(you know what I'm talking about, those who are self-employed), but I at
least offer technical support both before and after the sale to even things
out a little for the customer.  Sadly, I can't say that this vendor even
does that.

So, if it weren't for the kind folks of this list, I might have gotten
frustrated and burned the GT6 to the ground while throwing strips of
sacrificial furflex into the pyre.  But I didn't, and I owe the rest of my
sanity to the list.  Thanks all for your help!

Later,

Scott Decker
70 GT6+ KC79034L