Re: Gas Odor In The Garage - 1966 TR4A

To: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Odor In The Garage - 1966 TR4A
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:24:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Justin Wagner wrote:

> I've had the same problem with my TR 4A...  but it seems worse lately
> ... I tend to think the fuel tank has a slow leak or something...  Even
> a vented cap shouldn't be that strong.

Modern vent caps have a check valve; air only gets into the tank via the
vent, to let air out (as in filling up), the cap must be off.

However I think it would be difficult to fill the gas tank without taking
the cap off first :-)

Maybe someone should design a little flapper to go into the filler cap, as
in our modern cars- dual purpose: vent, and anti-siphon (to some extent)

-Malcolm