Re: TR-6 webers

To: "S. Smart" <75270.3703@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: TR-6 webers
From: "Thomas A. Strange" <jantoms@vbe.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 19:12:29 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
S. Smart wrote:

> Hi
>
> I put on the triple weber DCOEs with cannon manifold.  I also put in a "3/4
>race" cam from IIRC Cal-Cam.  I have never had good performance with the set
>up.  At idle there is almost no vacuum.  There is no power until about 3000
>rpm.
>
> So what is the correct weber set up?  I am willing to change out the
> cam (I have seen other suggested cams that appear to be less radical).
> I was also thinking of putting in domed pistons to maybe raise the
> compression a little.  The car is street only.
>
> scott smart
> TR6 CF1265U

Scott,
  You have a couple different things here.  Without the specs on the cam
to know what you have, you are guessing some about your setup.  This
however will not prevent you from getting a good running setup on your
car.
  Most cams called a 3/4 race, are a very mild street cam & fairly
easily tuneable.  If you plan a rebuild & would like something
different, okay.
Otherwise, I wouldnt worry much about changing it, unless you are having
problems specific to the cam.
  As far as increasing compression, for a street engine, I wouldnt
recommend much over 10 to 10.5 to 1 on pump gas.  Even at 10.5 : 1 you
should clean up the combustion chambers & do a little basic porting to
make use of the compression & relieve hot spots etc.
  The Webers (DCOE 40's I assume) are pretty much infinitely tuneable &
can be set up for almost anything you can put in that engine.  They are
however, touchy to set up.  They require someone who knows what they are
doing, a good supply of parts, and patience.  The cannon manifold is a
good match for the carb engine combo.  I would recommend doing what you
wish with the internals of the engine, then taking it to someone who can
set up the carbs for you.  This will save you much time, aggravation &
probably money (believe it or not).
  If you are rebuilding the engine again, going with a hotter than stock
cam & the webers, don't forget to do a good balance job on it also.
This is one of the most basic & effective tuning / power improvements
you can make on almost any factory engine.
  Hope this is of some help.
Tom Strange, Classic Autosports Ltd., Appleton, Wi.,  920-733-5013