Re: Fuel tank cleaning

To: Sean Johnson <sean_johnson@milacron.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fuel tank cleaning
From: larry hooven <dirty_howi@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:12:44 -0700 (PDT)
if i remember right, a couple of months ago someone suggested using
parrafin (white gas, not wax) to clean up the jello that gas turns
into...but can't confirm it, andy you at work with your archives yet
:)  i'll head back to my corner now...joe bring the checkers...

---Sean Johnson <sean_johnson@milacron.com> wrote:

> I removed the fuel tank from my Spitfire the other day, and it's
enough to make you a real believer in periodic cleaning!

> The tank's isn't rusty; but the inside has a thick coating of gunk.
No doubt this is the resins from gas that evaporated over the years.
The sender doesn't work, but it's pretty gunked up as well.

> What chemicals could I use to get rid of the gunk?  I suppose some
kind of detergent (Tide?), or is there a petrochemical I could use? I
was thinking of dumping the sender in my parts washer for awhile, but
the tank won't fit in there.

> Please send replies to the list.
>
> thanks!
>
> Sean Johnson
> '75 Spitfire

==
larry, 1979 spitfire fm99248u awaiting more bits and pieces...
good thing it's been sunny...course with a convertible that
can also be a bad thing.....

on the web at http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/9311

the simple things are always the most difficult....the most