heads

To: "INTERNET:rgb@exact.com" <rgb@exact.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: heads
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:40:36 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:rgb@exact.com
>Use the bronze silicon guides from TRF.  Use all new SS exhaust
>valves (I use the '72 valves on the later heads...)  and generally
>install new SS exhaust valve seats (though this is questionable),
>new rocker shaft from that rocker shaft rebuild center.

-- I was was/am planning on bronze guides and stellite or SS valves.  Is
stellite or SS better??  I am also planning on hardened steel seats.  I
was not planning on a new rocker as the engine only has 29K miles,
but it is a thought!    What do you think about replacing the valve
springs since I have them off?  The originals are over 30 years old
and I can not find any info in the workshop manual to tell me the proper
spring strength (I.e. length at a certain load).

>You can skim the heads a bunch of times but you can never put it
>back.  You're asking how much to skim...  wrong question.  You
>want to know how thick you want it and HOW THICK IT IS NOW.
<

--That is a good question.  How do I tell?  Do I just measure the
total head thickness with a caliper?  I have a pretty good one
of those.  You are right, I do not want to boost the compression too
much.  I have a problem with run-on as it is.