Re: Master Cylinder intechangeability

To: Alan Camhi <camhi@symbol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Master Cylinder intechangeability
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 18:07:20 -0400
At 11:45 AM 04/23/98 -0400, Alan Camhi wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>Quick question.......Is the TR3 Master cylinder interchangeable with the
TR4.  I received my new M/C from Truechoice and when looking in my manuals
I noticed that the boot area that surronds the push rod ass'y is different.
 It appears that the M/C I'm replacing also is not original.  It has a
screw in reservoir.

Yes and no.  Up through TR4 CT5783, a 0.75" bore was used.
After this car, a 0.70" bore was used.  That's what the 70 means.
The MC should have two rings cast on the body as well, right next
to the line connection.  So parts for the MC aren't interchangeble.
In spite of this I don't see why a complete 0.70" bore cylinder
couldn't be used  on an earlier car, anyone know the answer here?

>The stamping on both the old and new is 70 GIRLING.  I guess "70" is the
bore size.  Is this correct for a TR4(1965)?

Depends on the commission number, see above.

>Last question....can i use teflon tape to seal my reservoir against
leakage?  I am using DOT 3/4 castrol brake fluid.

Clean brass fittings usually don't need sealing.

Cliff Hansen
chansen@exis.net
1966 TR-4A  CTC 64615L (running, but pigeon-toed until Saturday)