Re: Refitting a J-Type O.D. to a TR6

To: <tomwalling@pvh.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Refitting a J-Type O.D. to a TR6
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:01:26 -0500
Tom,
What was the final result of your saga? Is it back together? I must
thank you for bringing this subject up, as I had my J-Type apart at the
same time and thanks to the discourse that followed your question, I
used a borrowed J-type mainshaft (thanks to Roger Bolick) to align the
splines and it went together "fairly" easily. The splines seemed to
move every time I flipped the O/D over to install it. I found that I
was able to get the splines to shift back by grabbing the installed
spare mainshaft and the output flange and twisting. It took some
patience, but it finally cooperated. Mine is ready to go back in
tonight.

I managed to get by without any special tools, using 2 small S/S bolts
on a small bar as a wrench for the plugs, and a large hose clamp to set
up the one way clutch. I opened the clamp up a tad with each bearing
and when it was full, I slid the clamp down and replaced it with a zip
tie so I could re-install it in the case. I used the gasket set from
VB, and as usual, they were less than perfect. The brake ring has two
different gaskets on each side, but they sent 2 of the same. I cut one
down a bit and it worked. Not to be out-done, MOSS and TRF also let me
down. I tried to buy new pistons, first from MOSS. They listed a "set"
for $6.50, which sounded like a deal. As it turned out, a "set" meant
piston/o-ring, even though the catalog says "1 req". On top of that, it
was NOS and rusted beyond use. I then ordered a true set from TRF, and
they also shipped me NOS-rusty beyond saving parts.  They checked stock
and all they had was rusted parts. TRF did offer up that the piston
itself wasn't as important as the o-ring did the sealing. They
suggested that I polish up the rusty parts and use them. I decided that
my old pistons wouldn't be any worse, so I re-used them. It actually
was a pretty simple rebuild, all things considered.

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net