PI Replies

To: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: PI Replies
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 18:44:58 +0100
Thanks, Peter Hore.

I have had the side cover off and the vac link is whizzing up and down like
a good 'un. I assume that the link must be OK.
The thing that makes me suspicious is that the rollers and track are dry;
according to my Autobook, they should be lubricated with a little engine
oil.

Thanks, Jonmac.
My fuel pump runs with a high-pitched whine for a second or two, then
settled to a deeper, even note. I assume this is OK.
I would appreciate your confirming the settings I intend to use with the PI
manual. I got these from Irwin Armstrong and they are...

Gap between rollers and cam follower:

At full throttle(no vacuum)- 57 to 58 thou.
At full vacuum (no throttle)-2 to 3 thou.

With the engine off, the first gap is 57 thou. so that should be OK. the
procedure I have for checking the second is.....

Remove vac chamber and take out diaphragm springs.
Replace chamber.
Suck on pipe to create vacuum.
Ensure diaphragm has pulled link right to the top.
Measure the gap.

Does this sound right to you?

The car is definitely running rich. The plugs are sooted, the tailpipe is
black and there's no way I can get a clean tickover.

Thanks, Egil.

I've studied your excellent PI pages and followed your advice to the letter.
Whilst I haven't the gear to measure the vacuum, I've put clips on all the
connections and the system holds a vacuum for several hours.
Re. the PI being set rich in the first place, do you think what I've
described above re. plugs, tailpipe and tickover is appropriate? Do you
think that the apparently unlubricated links and rollers could have worn
enough to send the mixture off?

Grateful thanks to you all for your patience, I'll get this PI right one
day:-)

Dave Hill