Re: TR6 Police Car

To: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Police Car
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 02:09:09 GMT
Allen writes...

>>'Cause the bottom end would grenade?  Or the transmisson...or the
>>rear...or the frame...or the...
>>

>Balls! I've been running 40-50% more horsepower than stock (for a UK model)
>TR7 (ie. 140-150 vs. 105), for 2 years; if an engine has been rebuilt and
>balanced (I also lightened the rods), the bottom end should take it. My
>transmission and diff do not seem to have deteriorated either.

Whoops!  I was just teasing Allen...honest! :-)

Actually, in the case of the TR6 <Shane's Triumph> they do get about
140hp with the home market fuel injection right?  So those with
federal cars should be able extract more safely.  But I think Shane
was actually talking about a cross-flow or "hemi" head right?
That could make some *power*.

>A friend of mine gets so much power out of his Dolly Sprint racecar, he's
>broken 3 axles (until he went with a modified Rover part), but he's had no
>catastrophic engine, transmission, or diff failures.
>
>Okay, some models might be a little too close to their design limits, in
>stock form (eg. 3-main bearing cranks, GT6 diffs, etc.), but I wouldn't
>write them all off as being at their maximum compromise between tuning and
>reliability.

My Spit is factory rated at 57hp. <no comments Richard!>  The UK
version was 71 if I remember.  I suppose I could modify it for
something over 100 but I dunno...I've heard sad stories.  :-(
Perhaps my second car....then I'll have a backup!

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits