Re: wiring question (pre-oiler)

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: wiring question (pre-oiler)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:07:41 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I recently posted a question to the list about the benefits of allowing
>engine oil pressure to build before actually firing up the engine vs.
>letting it build up once the engine is actually started.
                 < snip >
>In order to allow the starter to turn the engine but avoid starting it
>(especially now with the Ignitor installed ;-} ), I wish to add an
>in-car switch to control power to the coil.
                 < snip >
While it's probably true that it would be *somewhat* (and I use the word
loosely) desirable to have oil pressure before the engine fires, an engine
in good condition, that gets regular use will last many years (and have
lasted many years and miles in countless applications in real life
conditions) without this precaution.  I doubt seriously that you will see
any appreciable longevity over a properly maintained, and run motor with
good quality oil and a proper filter.  Remember, even an engine that sits
for a while still has a film of oil between all mating/internal parts and
that is all that protects any engine even while running.  It would only
have a detrimental effect if you were to rub this film away to the point of
metal to metal contact that you will see any wear.  Modern oils have an
extremely high shear strength to prevent just this kind of condition,
However, if you really want the benefits of this kind of system then you
really need what's referred to as a pre-oiler.  These, availably
commercially , will build oil pressure before you even crank over the
engine giving you full benefit of pressure lubrication before parts start
moving.  I personally wouldn't spend the money on one, but they are
available-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)