A-type O/D question - low pressure

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: A-type O/D question - low pressure
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 22:04:11 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
All is not right with the world.

I have intermittent engagement of the o/d unit (type a) on my '3.
(Mostly doesn't and less so now than a week ago)  Did a pressure check
and it reads in the 400-450 range and the book says it should be 550 or
so.   Did not take a reading when first installed so it could be
dropping, hence engaging less.

1)      Is this the likely reason for no engagement?  Solenoid/operating
lever all function as they should although lever had to be setup past
the lineup hole as described in manual.
2)      What might be causing it?  I have checked out the check valve
and levels.  Rear tranny seal has been fixed - no leaks now.
3)      Is there a solution other than pulling the o/d and going through
it?
4)      What about the "one-way" clutch?  What would the symptoms be of
a faulty or damaged one?  I have heard that going into reverse might
cause havoc.  I can say that I didn't do it; but anything is possible.

I'm stumped...
All insightful responses appreciated.
Carl