Sport Coil Questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sport Coil Questions
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:45:12 -0500
Cc: DANMAS@aol.com
I recently made the conversion to the Crane ignition system and a new
Lucas Sport Coil on the TR6.  All has gone extremely well, but....

Over the past weekend, I developed a slight "miss" under normal
driving.  The miss generally occurs when you "hold" at a sustained rpm
before shifting into 2nd, or into 3rd.  While holding at that higher
rpm, the engine will miss once or twice over a 5 to 6 second period.  It
does not miss after shifting when revs are low but increasing.  It is
just a slight miss - not as though multiple cylinders are misfiring or
anything that severe. It did not do this prior to the conversion.

I am curious to know if this could be due to the coil running too hot.
My new sport coil, after driving, is nearly too hot to touch.  The
bracket definitely is, due to heat transfer from the block.  But the
coil is nearly as hot.  Too hot, it would seem, to be due to heat
transferring from block to bracket to coil.  I know the longterm effects
of an overheated coil - but what about short term problems?  Would that
cause such an engine miss?  And what would cause the coil to be running
so hot??

[P.S. Honest, Dan, I did not just "time" this question for your return
to the list :-))]

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6
1970 Spitfire