I got the shakes

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: I got the shakes
From: Alan Camhi <camhi@symbol.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 08:58:50 -0400
Hi Everyone,

Still trying to tune my TR4.  Having a world of problems.  Dissconnected the
throttle connections to the two stromberg CD175(bottom air/fuel mixture
adjustment).  While opening the rear carb(closest to the rear of the car)
throttle ,  I heard lots of hiss coming from the carb intake(where the air
filters mount) and then she died.  Also, I am backfiring through the front carb.

Worste, the engine is shaking horribly.  So much so that I can't even get a
screw driver onto the throttle stop screws to adjust the idling.

She is not missing in the sense that the engine is constant.  There are no
intermittent fluctuations.  I'm lost.

I plan on doing a valve adjustment next.  I never did one and am unsure as to
when the previous owner performed one.  I'm hoping that this might solve my
problems but at this point, I'm grasping at straws.

If I have to, I'll try to nurse it to a mechanic but I really don't want to do
that if I don't have to.

Any help/advise is extremely appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan Camhi
'65 TR4

P.S.  Thanks to all who replied about my idle speed question.  50 percent
thought there would be no adverse affects to the engine other than bad gas
mileage.  The other 50 percent said it will eventually ruin the engine due to
excessive and premature wearing from higher revvings.